Kira* the 1 year old Siberian Husky had a ‘gut full’ and visited the team at Perth Vet Emergency for help in June 2016. His owners noticed him vomiting and were surprised to find pebbles and part of a gardening glove. He had a history of eating things he shouldn’t. This included a skipping rope the previous week, so Kira’s owners sought help.
Kira was bright and responsive when he arrived at PVE. His respiratory rate and pulse was normal. His gums were a healthy shade of pink and moist. There were no significant findings or signs of dehydration during Dr Lovatt’s examination. However, he was a little uncomfortable when she examined his abdomen, and given his history of foreign body ingestion, she felt it necessary to investigate this discomfort further.
Kira’s owners consented to radiographs to investigate the discomfort.
The radiographs presented a large number of garden pebbles in the stomach and colon. Fortunately, there didn’t appear to be an obstruction which meant it was possible for this lucky Husky to pass the pebbles without incident. Kira’s owners preferred the issue be resolved as quickly as possible and didn't want the stress of waiting for the pebbles to pass at home. As a result, Kira was admitted to hospital where an enema and gastric lavage (flushing the stomach) was performed to force the pebbles out without the need for invasive surgery.
Unfortunately, the procedure only removed a portion of the pebbles - less than 1/4 metric cup. Kira remained in hospital overnight on IV fluids with oral lactulose to encourage the passing of the remaining stones. He was also closely monitored for any signs of obstruction which would require emergency surgery, though this was very unlikely.
On Monday morning, Kira was transferred to his primary care veterinarian for ongoing fluid therapy and monitoring with the wait for more pebbles to pass. He was also monitored for increased abdominal pain, vomiting, or other signs pertaining to gastrointestinal obstruction.
We’re happy to report, Kira was discharged from his veterinarian that afternoon after passing a majority of the pebbles. The few remaining were expected to pass in the following days without concern. We haven’t had any repeat visits since Kira was transferred from our care, which is no doubt a relief for his loving owners. He does however have a very impressive radiograph to remind him of the time he had to visit the emergency team at PVE.
*Kira’s name was changed to protect his and his owner’s privacy.
Bronson's story | When Vomiting becomes a concern | Household and Garden toxins
Australia Day For Pets
WA Emergency Vets - Donate Blood ...
Career Opportunities At PVE
Veterinary Career Opportunity
Found A Baby Bird?
Restraining Dogs In Cars
What Is Vestibular Disease In Pets?
Can I Give My Dog Panadol?
Garfield Wounded From A Cat Fight
Cats With Cat Fight Wounds
Cats Wanted For the PVE Blood Don...
Emergency Planning For Perth’s ...
The Patients Of Perth Vet Emergency
Dogs And New Years Eve Fireworks
Lucky The Golden Retriever Was Lu...
Chihuahua Visits PVE With A Close...
Corneal Ulcers In Pets
Bernie Treated For Rat Bait Poiso...
Rottweiler Visits Emergency After...
Grape, Sultana And Raisin Toxicit...
Patient Testimonials 2016
Cat Owner Articles
Penis Injuries In Dogs
How To Give Ear Medication To You...
Dogs Afraid Of Thunder
Kidney Stones In Pets
Lilies Are Very Toxic To Cats
Dogs That Can’t Swim
Brachycephalic Dogs And Cats
Stray Cat Reunited With Owner
Antifreeze Toxicity And Pets
Kidney Failure In Pets
Red Heeler Presents With Kidney F...
Blood Donors Save Newfoundland’...
How To Bottle Feed A Kitten
What Is Pet Ventilation?
Some Fun With Our Pet Census 2016
Possum Needs Veterinary Help Afte...
After Hours Veterinarians In Perth
Lithium Batteries Are Very Danger...
What Is A Pet Ultrasound?
Does My Rabbit Have GI Stasis?
GI Stasis Troubles A Dwarf Lop R...
Siberian Husky Has A Stomach Full...
Bronson Saves Pets Lives By Donat...
Patient Testimonial: Beccy Moreton
How To Perform CPR
Heat Stroke - The Symptoms In Pets
Pets And Toxins
Rat Bait Is Very Dangerous For Pets
What To Do If Your Dog Has A Bloa...
Pets Eyes And Medical Emergencies
Stick Injuries And Pets
My Pet Is Vomiting
Broken Legs Or Penetrating Wounds
What To Do If Your Pet Drinks Sea...
My Pet Has Eaten Chocolate
Pet Has Eaten Snail Pellets
My Pet Is Having A Seizure
Pets With Head Traumas
What To Do If Your Pet Nearly Dro...
My Pet Has Eaten A Blowfish
Pets Bitten By Snakes
Pets With Insect Bites Or Stings
Advice For Pets Having Trouble Gi...
Whelping Dogs And Milk Fever
Cat Twitching After Flea Treatment
A Small List Of Non Toxic Plants ...
Transporting Your Sick Or Injured...
Pet Trauma Symptoms And Advice
Thanks For Completing Pet Census ...