Pet friendly plants that are safe for your garden
Despite the many plant species that can cause harmful effects in pets, there are also many that do not. For those of you who are both avid pet owners and plant lovers, it is possible to achieve a balance between the two.
Many of us own “curious” breeds such as Burmese, other Orientals and of course, the Labrador. To help support their curiosity cravings, the authors of this book have, over many years, sought out some pet friendly plants. Most in the list below are harmless, and at worst, can cause mild diarrhoea and vomiting if ingested in sufficient quantities.
- African violet (Saintpaulia species)
- Bamboo (except those listed previously)
- Banana tree (Musa acuminate)
- Bottle Brush (Callistemon species)
- Camellia (Camelia japonica)
- Christmas or Easter cactus (Schlumbergera bridgesii)
- Cockscomb (Amaranthus hypochondriacus)
- Cordyline species
- Grass species (including Carex, Lantana, Cat Grass)
- Jasmine (Jasminium species)
- Some species of begonia
- Some species of palms (golden cane, Christmas palm)